Fusspot rants, embarrassing photos of yourself and general correspondence go here: universalnicks@gmail.com

So we've got Dany Heatley covered -- who else is having issues? What say you, Mr. Kovalev? From TSN.ca:

The former Montreal Canadiens forward - who signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Ottawa Senators as a free agent this summer - told reporters on Thursday that he likes the idea of finishing his career in Montreal.

"I was disappointed, I thought for sure I'd be staying here," said Kovalev at his charity golf tournament in Montreal. "I couldn't really understand what had just happened. In the end, I took it from a business point of view. You had a chance to stay here, and you didn't, so you just go and do the job somewhere else. But maybe somewhere in the future I'll be back again, and get the same support."

"I've been back to Montreal four or five times in the last three weeks," Kovalev continued. "Every time you see a fan on the street, (they say) they're really disappointed. That's why I say, maybe after two years I'll be back again. It definitely would be nice to retire here. But it's not for me to talk about Montreal - I'm part of another organization. I'm going to go there and do the best I can and we'll see what happens."


How about that, Ottawa? The guy who's been blatantly featured on the splash page of the Sens' website for some time, is already thinking about what comes after he wears the red, black and gold.

You also have to enjoy the bit about being part of "another organization" and "going to go there." Does he even know where "there" is? The man's already on autopilot, and appears to be biding his time until his self-imposed 24-month sentence is up.

This is epic. Anyone else want out? How about you, Winchester?

More later.

5 responses to "Welcome to Edmonton East"

  1. I can't understand what this animosity is towards Ottawa. Maybe I'm biased (I'm a Canucks fan, but the Sens are my 2nd)... but I'd love to play there.

    Heatley's reasons don't seem to be quite the same - he's not against Ottawa the city the way he's against Edmonton the city, but he doesn't like the coach - but Kovalev? Bizarre... I just don't get it. There's nothing wrong with the organization as far as I can see.

    Unknown

  2. I spent 3 years in Alberta (Calgary) and worked my ass off to get back here. I'm not originally from Ottawa (or Ontario for that matter), but it's where I want to be. No offense to Alberta, but only people who were born, raised and grew up there who know nothing else think there's no place better. IMHO, Calgary is a shithole and Edmonton its cesspool.
    That said, I like watching their hockey teams play each other, but I'll do so from my Ottawa living room.

    Please do not equate Ottawa and Edmonton. I just threw up in my mouth.

    I think its time for the media to leave personal questions out of their player interviews and just focus on how they are preparing for the season. This microanalysis of players has become a bloody joke. I don't care if a player wants to retire here or not as long as he plays his heart out while he is here.

    Master Of Puppets

  3. Kovalev has a history of foot in mouth disease when speaking to the media. Anyone remember his candid comments to Russian media about the goings on in Habland?

    Look, these guys are all soldiers of fortune. Kovalev is just being brutally honest about his situation, instead of mouthing the usual platitudes about, "nowhere else I would rather play." I am actually heartened by the fact he liked it in Montreal - that means he likes a hockey atmosphere, and doesn't mind the media pressure. There are a lot of free agents (hello, Paul Kariya and Ed Jovanovski!) who deliberately sign in obscure U.S. cities to get away from the intense media scrutiny. As long as Kovy plays hard every night, I will get over the fact that he loves the city of Montreal. Truth is, my wife and I have a bit of a thing for the place ourselves.

    Dennis Prouse

  4. MOP: The Edmonton thing was just a light reference to the issues both teams seem to have in obtaining and retaining players. No offense meant.

    D: However Kovalev feels, he needs to keep his mouth shut for the meantime. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot. I wish I could take the stance of "I don't care where he wants to be, as long as he plays hard", but it seems this guy fusses over the slightest things. He's obviously a delicate little flower, and it's only a matter of time before something sets him off here. Then what happens? Play goes south again, and he'll start whining about the 514. Fans don't need that right now. Obviously can hope for the best, but when it comes to Ottawa, I expect the worst.

    The Universal Cynic

  5. Actually, having lived in Ottawa and now living in Edmonton, I think the comparison is apt. Edmonton is basically Ottawa with fewer Francophones and more pickup trucks.

    Mike D