This is an idea I pilfered from my dear friend - and Sporting News Radio superstar - Sean Pendergast (um...I mean Brian Beckner...), but tweaked just a bit to make it my own. (You can take the girl out of traditional media...) Anyway, I think you'll catch on quick. Let's get started, shall we?
* Hockey ultimately benefits from Canada losing at the World Junior Hockey Championships, because competition, not dynasties, are the lifeblood of any sport. FACT.
* TSN's bloated coverage of the tournament, combined with this country's bravado (largely shouted into a vacuum of indifference) has made it difficult for me to support Team Canada. FACT.
* Team Russia's celebrations should always be watched with subtitles. FACT.
* The swearing by NHL players/coaches on HBO's 24/7 never warranted such a bombastic reaction. FACT.
* 24/7 provides completely unguarded insight into NHL players' lives. CRAP.
* The only way you're going to see the true side of a player is with a NannyCam. FACT.
* Regardless, fans are happy with this unprecedented access, and love to hear players swear because it's "fun." FACT.
* I don't get it. FACT.
* The answer to the first Blind Item in this post is indeed, Pierre McGuire. FACT.
* This idea, of course, is... CRAP.
* Chris Phillips will be traded before the end of this season. CRAP.
* Chris Phillips' trade value is far less than the bright-eyed optimists would assume. FACT.
* Erik Karlsson is proving that he can be effective at the NHL level as an offensive defenceman. FACT.
* In the process, Karlsson is picking up some very bad habits (i.e. attempting to cut a swath to the net through four opposing players, inevitably leading to a turnover). FACT.
* Ottawa Senators head coach Cory Clouston will be fired before the end of the season. CRAP.
* So will Bryan Murray. CRAP.
* Why would Mr. Eugene bother now? He'll just let them walk in April. FACT.
* A meddling owner combined with a flailing team means you'll hardly have your pick of the litter when it is time to replace the front office. FACT.
* Cory Clouston shouldn't be the head coach, but he can't be expected to get blood from a stone. The talent just isn't here. FACT.
* The Sens have hit rock bottom. CRAP.
* Talk to me when you've missed the playoffs for a good five years or so - barring a major overhaul, that's where this club is headed. FACT.
- ▼ 2011 (12)
- ► 2010 (69)
- ► 2009 (95)
- ► 2008 (187)
- ► 2007 (181)
Satellite Dish TV sports action in your own home.